Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Gifts of the Spirit

I can remember Christmas as a little boy. The excitement and the anticipation of what you were going to get in the way of presents. Sometimes there were a few and sometimes there were many. I suppose the best presents I received were the ones that I would use throughout the upcoming year. Some of them I used on a daily basis. These are the presents that served a utilitarian function of some sort and it became natural to use them.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
(Romans 12:6-8)

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
(1 Corinthians 12:8-10)

The Holy Spirit will give gifts to the Christian so they will be empowered for service. You do know that as a Christian...you are in ministry...don’t you? It is my belief all Christians have at least one of the gifts. I believe many have more than one gift. I never have met anyone I believed had all of the gifts. You will see these gifts show themselves as you minister for the Lord in one way or another. You will sometimes work with another Christian who has a different gift from the one you have. They will work seamlessly with one another because we all of one body. (1 Corinthians 12:12) These are service gifts to be used in what you are called to do. All of these gifts have their place and I believe all of them are still in existence today despite what several of my Christian friends may think. I have even seen gifts which were not mentioned in the lists above. He gives you what you are best suited for. Gifts of the Spirit will flow naturally from the believer. They will never contradict scripture and they will always give glory to God.

When I think of the gifts of the Spirit and the help he gives us, I remember what Jesus said:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
(John 14:12)

Think of what Jesus did while He was on earth. He not only has entrusted us with His ministry...He has equipped us with the help of the Holy Spirit to do the same things. The greatest miracle to me is to see someone receive Christ into their heart. This is just one facet of the work of the Holy Spirit and a testament of how much you are loved of God. Use your gift and allow God to show His love to someone else through you.

Father, I thank you for what you entrust to me. Guide and direct me in the way you would have me use what you have given me. I thank you for all who read this today and ask your blessing upon them. Help us work for you in a way which is well pleasing in your sight. I ask this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment