Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Divine Appointment

On a mid-summer evening several years ago, we arrived at church on a Wednesday night for the midweek prayer service.  My wife and I were new in our music ministry and had been scheduled to do special music the next Sunday.  We arrived with some young people going to youth meeting and our daughter and her friend who were a bit younger.  When we parked the car, we got out and I leaned over for my Bible with my right hand.  My left hand was on the jam of the doorpost in the center of the car.  My daughter didn't notice and slammed the car door.  Two of my fingers were crushed when the door shut. 

One of our friends worked as an EMT and came out of the church when they heard about my hand.  The knuckles of the ring and middle fingers were crushed on my left hand.  My EMT friend looked at my hand and said "I am so sorry, Khris. They look like they are crushed." 

Since I am right handed, I chord the guitar with my left hand.  I told him I had to play on Sunday and he didn't say another word.  He was thinking that was not going to happen.  Someone agreed to watch over the kids while my wife and I headed to the doctor's office.  While we wondered about what the Lord would do, we knew this was in His perfect will somehow.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
(Romans 8:28)

I don't recall any pain after my fingers were out of the door.  They went numb.  Even with the swelling the knuckles were flat as they could be.  We went to one of those emergency care places where you don't need an appointment.  I call them a "doc in a box."  My regular family doctor had closed hours ago and it was closer than the emergency room. 

While we were sitting in the emergency care waiting room we started talking to a woman across from us.  She was waiting on a friend who was seeing the doctor.  We started a conversation and were talking about the accident that brought us there.  My fingers were a wonderful conversation piece at that time.  I wanted to know about her though.  It wasn't long before I knew she wasn't a believer and I began telling her all the wonderful things God had been doing in our lives.  She was really interested in hearing about God.  We talked for a while and I basically gave her the Gospel message.  She listened intently and asked questions but wasn't ready to make the commitment that night.  When I looked down at my fingers they looked normal.  There was a little pain but I could move them now.  By the time I got back to the doctor and had the X-rays taken there were no crushed or broken bones.  My fingers had been healed.

I believe the only reason I was there that night was to tell the woman about Christ.  In fact, I know it.  The Lord will put all sorts of people in our path so we can share the good news.  Sometimes He puts us in their path.  That was God's purpose that night.  I was able to play the guitar on Sunday.  I was playing the same night, as a matter of fact!  There was no swelling or soreness in the fingers.  They had been healed.  I saw this happen with my own eyes! 

No matter what your circumstance you can be a blessing to God by being faithful to do His will.  As a Christian you are called to share of yourself with others who need Christ.  Jesus really went around loving people.  To walk as Christ walked means to love people as He did.  Redeeming the time and making the most of every opportunity is important.  Remember, you may be the only one God has chosen to share with the person He has put in your path.  They may not get another chance if you are not faithful.

Father, I thank you that you have shown yourself in mighty ways on more than one occasion.  I am blessed everytime you give me an opportunity to share your truth.  I ask that you would continue to put people in my path.  Thank you for those who read and have been such a blessing to me.  I ask that you would bless them this day.  Supply their needs and comfort their hearts as only you can.  Help us to remember the honor you have given us as your children.  Strengthen and guide us in your perfect will this day and be a blessing to all we come in contact with.  I ask this in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment