Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Compassion

This post is going to be a bit different today. Have you ever thought of a song and the tune goes on in your mind all day long? I do this sometimes with songs, sometimes with people coming to mind and other times it is verses of scripture. I view these events as an opportunity to learn more while my mind is focused on them.  A verse of scripture is much like a fine gemstone. There are usually many facets each with their own perspective on the stone as a whole. The verse going through my head right now is one which gives one of the clearest pictures of compassion.

And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. (Matthew 8:2-3)

I look at a lot of things in this verse. Leprosy is one of the most cruel diseases on earth. It disfigures, cripples, and kills. Here we have a man who had no other solution than to seek God for relief. What does he do? He simply asks the One he knows can heal. Jesus then did what no one else had the nerve to do…He touched him. Leprosy is a contagious disease. Jesus then said “I will.” This is the answer from God in many of our most hopeless situations. When we come to Him believing He will do something for us…He will. Because the man had faith and because Jesus is compassionate this man was cleansed from his leprosy.

Another facet of this gemstone is salvation. Sin is like a spiritual leprosy. We all have it and we all are disfigured and crippled because of it. No one is exempt from this. (Romans 3:23) When we finally become tired of our lives because of sin we can tell Jesus: “If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.” Jesus’ answer is always the same… “I will, be thou clean.”

Father, thank you for your compassion. Thank you for putting this on my heart today and I ask you would bless and encourage each and everyone who reads this. I ask you would send this word forth and let it accomplish your will for it. As always, I give you the praise for what you do now and what you will do. I ask this in the name of Jesus, Amen.

LiveJournal Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment