Monday, May 11, 2009

Being content with yourself

I spoke to someone earlier this week and they said I seemed happy. I told them I wasn't so much happy as I was contented. What does it mean to be content? According to Dictionary.com, it means to be "satisfied."To have "ease of mind." There seems to be a shortage of that in people these days. Now I do know many people who are truly content with their lives. There seems to be many people who are not. To me, this is sad. It can be had for no cost, yet it is its own best reward. You cannot put a price on something like this. Its value far exceeds any wealth we can assign to it. Contentment is valuable in the sense that it puts you at peace with yourself. If you can truly look at your life and wouldn't change a thing, you are probably content with your life. It has more to do with wellness of spirit than with present circumstances. I am going to give a passage of scripture today that talks about this.

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
(Philippians 4:11-13) KJV

I give you three verses here because I want to keep this in the context in which it was written. He was talking about being content with his life regardless of circumstances. This is an awesome scripture! Especially when you think about the fact that it was written from prison. You want to talk about being content with your life? Paul was yielded to the will of God. He was an obedient servant of Christ. He also knew that many hardships would befall him as a result of the call God placed on his life. We all have moments when things don't go as we would like when it comes to careers, finances or even matters of love. I also know people who are great with money but have trouble with relationships in their life. I also know those without much money to their name that have wonderful relationships. With the help of God, all types of people can find the peace and contentment they long for. God made a way, through Jesus, whereby we can all be at peace. Not only peace, but also have contentment and joy as well. It isn't about what you have or don't have. It is about the state of your soul and spirit. You notice I haven't mentioned happiness. That is because happiness by its definition relies on circumstances. Joy, peace and contentment do not. If you read this, and feel that you are not content with your present situation or state of being, talk with God about this. This is where you can learn, like Paul, to be content. He has a plan that He has made just for you! I will give you a hint: It involves receiving Christ as Savior. He only asks that you follow the plan His way. Your life may be turned upside down but He will give you peace.

Father, I pray for all who read this today. I ask that you would help them search their hearts today to see if they are truly at peace with you. If they are, I give you the praise and glory for this. If they aren't, I ask for a special blessing for these, Lord. I ask that you would lead them to your truth through the cross. I give you praise and thanksgiving for each soul who reads today. Be with them in a mighty way this day. May the peace that passes understanding find a home in their hearts. I pray this in the name of Christ Jesus, my Savior. Amen.

P.S. An updated post on how to implement contentment in your own life can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment