Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A New Temple

Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house. And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD'S house.  
(2 Chronicles 7:1-2)

King Solomon had finally completed the building of the temple in Jerusalem.  In chapter 6, he offers his prayer of dedication to the LORD. This passage of scripture shows what happened next.  I have read this scripture many times over the years, and to this day it moves my heart because of its beauty.  To me, this is an Old Testament passage which describes what happens to a believer at the moment they pray to accept Christ as Savior.  God will always honor a prayer that is in His will.

The prayer we term the "sinner's prayer" is always in His will.  Many people have said this prayer at an altar of a church.  Some people have said this prayer at home after watching a Christian television  program which prompts them to do so.  The last time I said this prayer was in the parking lot of a grocery store.  That night, I chose life over death.  I chose God's way over my way.  God isn't hung up on where the prayer is said but it is always in His will for the prayer to be said.  When you finish this prayer, the Holy Spirit fills your heart.  He lives inside of you because you invited Him.  You become a new creature in Christ!  It is the first step of an incredible journey that lasts until you see him face to face.  It lasts beyond that!  I am going to close today with a sinner's prayer.  Feel free to say it with me.  If you mean it with all of your heart, God will transform your heart.  You will pass from death to eternal life, and the glory of the LORD will once again fill His temple.

I encourage you to say this prayer out loud.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:10)

Father God, I am a sinner.  I confess this sin before you and ask for your forgiveness.  I turn from this sin and accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  I accept his sacrifice on the cross as the payment for my sin in full because I have no other way to pay for sin on my own.  Fill my heart with the Holy Spirit and guide me in the way of your truth. Help me to live my life for you.  Teach me your ways and your words and fill me with your joy. Thank you Father for hearing this prayer.  I ask this in the name of Jesus, my Savior. Amen.

I want to say a prayer for you now.

Father, I thank you that you are still concerned with the lives of people.  I thank you that you loved us enough to give your Son Jesus to die for our sins.  For those who did not say this prayer, I  ask you would continue to draw them to yourself.  Let them see Jesus everywhere they turn.  Lead them to your truth.  For all who  said  this prayer today I ask you would fill them with a powerful presence of yourself.  Guide them and keep them Lord.  Give them a hunger for your word and the people of God.  Give them a desire for all things that are of you and use them for your glory.  I thank you and praise you for this in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment