Monday, May 24, 2010

That little voice

I have felt the need to pray more lately in the form of intercession. I pray for my needs of course but I feel a special need to lift up those I promised I would pray for. Some of these people I know very well and some I don't even know personally. My wife helps me edit these posts because it is something she does well. She tells me I am a "wordy" person. I am sure some of my prayers are that way too. However, some of my prayers are just a few words long. I am confident God hears all of my prayers. I have to be careful that I not only pour out my heart to God but listen and wait for His answer.

And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?
1 Kings 19:11-13


In the verses above, Elijah was told by an angel to meet with God in a specific place. When God passed by all manner of things happened. He didn't find God in any of the powerful events which occurred. After all of this he heard a still small voice. God was speaking to him.

When you pray do you stop to hear that still small voice? Do you have this thought of a person come across your mind? Sometimes it is just that simple. God is so merciful. He knows we as humans lack the ability to always keep our train of thought. He also knows the things we need. He knows the needs of those you are praying for. He is God! I have tried to be mindful and take care I do not try to dominate all of this conversation. I am open and receptive to what He has to say. As much as I hate to admit it, there are times I have been less than thrilled with His answer or what he wanted me to do. Eventually I come around. It is an honor for God to be willing to use you or me for anything. I don't take it lightly. You never know what kind of blessing you will be to others if you will take the time to just listen a little. I know sometimes it makes me seem very peculiar indeed when I try to implement what He gives me. We are a peculiar people aren't we? (1 Peter 2:9) There are times someone I haven't thought about in years comes to mind. I won't even be in prayer at that time but I try to take just a moment to whisper a prayer. I believe God has put them on my mind for a particular reason and He wants me to pray for them. This still small voice is just that. A still small voice. If you ignore it...you miss out.

One more thing before I close. If you promise someone you will pray for them...please pray for them. It only takes a moment and it costs you nothing. The rejoicing you will both do for answered prayer has its own reward. Just remember God's voice is not always that of thunder. Sometimes...it's a whisper.

Thank you Father for giving me the opportunity to pray. Help me to keep my eyes and my heart focused on those things which are important to you. I want to be more inclined to hear your voice when you speak to me. May all who read this be blessed in a special way today. Give them what they need and encourage them as only you can. They are such a blessing to me and I ask for blessings upon them. I thank you and praise you in the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment