Monday, May 17, 2010

When you pray...

A long time ago, before GPS and cell phones, I had a situation which needed closure. I was to meet with someone from out of state to be able to resolve some issues in my own heart. The problem was I had a street address but no phone number. Unfamiliar with the area, I wandered in circles for a while. After a while I asked:  "Jesus, lead me there." I had no doubt He would answer this prayer. In about five minutes I had this strong urge to turn down a particular road. The street I was looking for was connected to this road. I met with the person and resolved my situation. On my own, I drove around this place many times without success. After the prayer, it was five minutes. Out of all the answers to prayer I have received, this one stands out to me because of what it meant to my heart at the time.

Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
(Mark 11:24)


Prayer is a living thing. It is holy communion with the Creator of all things. It is communication with Him who knows you better than you know yourself. There are so many references to prayer in scripture. There is no way I can effectively communicate all aspects in this post. Today I want to focus on one...faith.

The verse tells us to "believe that ye receive." How many times have you prayed thinking God wouldn't do something for you? If you approach prayer with this attitude, you are probably correct. You have to believe God loves you enough to answer your prayer. There should be no room in your heart for doubt! I want you to think of it as when you were a child. You would ask your Mom or Dad for something and all you had to do was ask. More times than not, you would be given that which you wanted. You would also be denied things that were not good for you. Not all prayers get the answer we want if they are outside of God's will for our lives. The key thought here is to believe He wants to answer you. He does. In my experience, God loves His people and He loves them to pray. How many times has God looked at me and wondered why I don't ask Him for what I need? We keep Him at arm's length when we give up and don't ask. Prayer is a wonderful gift God has given us. We should use it often! Nothing can usher you into His presence the way prayer can.

Do you have things in your life you need? Is there someone on your mind who needs something of the Lord? You can keep driving in circles without an answer or you can bring it to God in prayer. The choice is yours.

Thank you Father for hearing our prayers. I praise you for the opportunity. I ask you would continue to teach me how to pray more effectively. I thank you for all who read this and ask you to encourage their hearts and renew their minds. Help them to believe you want only good for them. Help them with their faith in what they ask for. Fill them with an intense sense of your love for them. Fill them with the joy and peace which only comes from you. I give you the glory for all that you do for them. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment