Monday, May 10, 2010

What are you planting?

I have always loved to work with plants. I love how you can put a seed in the ground and watch it grow over time. Roses tend to be my favorite plants but I do grow vegetables and annual flowers as well. When I was younger, I would plant a kernel of corn in the ground and watch it sprout. The corn stalk would eventually produce two ears of corn. From one seed you would get hundreds of kernels on the two ears of corn. The Bible relates our actions as sowing or reaping. Not just some of our actions...but all of them.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
(Galatians 6:7)


This is such a basic truth that it often gets overlooked. In the above verse the Apostle Paul relates this passage to sowing and reaping. If you look for similar references in the Bible you will see it compared to sunshine and rain as well. (Matt. 5:45) So who does this verse apply to? The answer is that it applies to everyone. Christian and non-Christian alike. In some religions you have the concept of "karma." Your actions do have consequences. How many times have you heard someone say: "What goes around, comes around." Same concept. So this is indeed recognized as a universal truth. I believe Christians have an advantage with God to lead and direct them.

Prisons are full of people who are reaping what they have sown. We bring a lot of the bad things on ourselves with choices we have made. Perhaps we treated someone badly in the past. We reap that. We may have thought something evil of someone. We reap that too. We reap in action and deed and in the mind as well. Sooner or later it all comes to pass. Remember what I said about that kernel of corn? One seed produces hundreds. This is how I view this verse because of the context in which it is given. You could reap one to one, twofold, or even a hundred fold! I think it has to do with what exactly you have sown. I have seen people really destroy themselves with alcohol and drugs. I have seen them become Christians but they still have a lot of the health problems associated with their past life. Like I said, it applies to everyone with no respect to persons. I have also seen people miraculously healed of health problems. They still had to endure their consequences.

Before I go any further, I want to be clear about something... Sometimes we go through trials as Christians. You have to remember God will "test" his followers to strengthen them. He did this with Job. This is universal with all Christians. Remember that the testing is to build you up rather than break you down. This is a totally different concept and I don't want to bring unnecessary grief to someone going through a trial.

Two actions people make sum up why I am writing this post. Both actions reap much more than hundred fold. We can choose to accept Christ as Lord and Savior and live our lives for Him. He is faithful to help us make good choices even though we may make mistakes along the way. The other action is to reject Christ when He calls to your heart. When you really think of the seed you sow...then it baffles me why someone would turn Him down. We all have our gardens to plant. What are you planting today?

Father, I thank you for who you are. I recognize you as a just and merciful God. Help me to make good decisions in my life. Forgive me for those decisions that I have made which have fallen short of your will for me. Help me to build people up rather than trying to tear them down. May I think of the consequences each action has beforehand. Keep me always mindful of people's feelings and needs. I pray for all who will read this and ask your blessing on them. Make them aware of their actions and the consequences of those actions. I thank you for hearing me and ask these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment