Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Small Voice

Life gets hectic. There is no doubt about that. We have things in our work, family, and even our leisure that require our attention. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to not slowing down or letting God get my attention. I don't intend this as disobedience, I just get other things on my mind.

And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:11-12) KJV

Elijah had been through a rough time. He was depressed and looking for answers. God instructed him to stand on the mount and He would speak to him. He expected, I am sure, God to arrive in great fashion. He looked in the great wind that came, and God was not there. He looked in the earthquake that came, and God was not there either. He looked into the fire that came, and still the same thing. After all of this, a still small voice. A whisper, if you will. This was the voice of God.

Life gets hectic, and we sometimes go through things where we need God. Sometimes it is in a great revelation. Most times, in my case, it has always been that still small voice. The quiet time I spend with the Lord recharges my life. He wants me to do this, and I need this. I believe we all do. The Holy Spirit will sometimes give you just an urge to do something or say a kind word to someone. He doesn't ask the world of you, but if everyone is obedient, the world will change as a result.

Father, help me to slow down from time to time and listen for your voice. Grant me the wisdom to discern your voice and act upon it. Thank you for your instruction and care for me. I pray this in the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment